What lies at the heart of the Linux operating system? The Linux kernel. Every Linux professional—including those in system administration, operations, and software development—needs to be familiar with the functionality of the Linux kernel as well as the mechanics of configuring and troubleshooting it. Master the fundamentals in this training course with Dr. Kevin Dankwardt.
We survey the Linux kernel specification, boot process, and loadable kernel modules. You will practice techniques such as downloading and searching Linux kernel source code and configuring a Linux kernel from scratch. Challenge and solution videos at the end of almost every chapter allow you to test your new Linux skills along the way.
- What is the Linux kernel?
- Controlling hardware
- Reading Linux kernel messages
- Reading and writing files from the proc and sysfs filesystems
- Configuring GRUB
- Using kernel command-line parameters
- Configuring run levels
- Working with loadable kernel modules (LKMs)
- Searching the kernel source code
- Building and installing a Linux kernel